A few years ago there was the iPod craze. Everyone wanted one. It was in the “in-thing”.
Before a kid could be easily satisfied with a sleek looking mp3 player, that was until his classmate got the “super cool” iPod. Then came the iPod Video, and the newer generations of the iPod Video and then finally the iPod Touch (which most Pinoys commonly call as iTouch) and the phone version iPhone.
That was the story of Apple in the Philippines as I saw it over the years. Here’s Google‘s side:
Once upon a time the Apple iPod touch was the uber cool touch device, until I heard of Android.
Back then only less than ten people (including Mr. Techie Kid himself) had a google Nexus one in the Philippines. Then suddenly more and more people carried Android devices such as the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy Spica and other mobile phones. With the cool user interface and highly customizable themes the Android collection was just wonderful. Thus, the community of Android users continued to grow and grow.
So here’s the big question: Where should my money go to? And Android Phone or an iPhone?
To make things life simpler it’s more of a question of WHAT DO YOU WANT?
It is no doubt that these guys are the in thing when it comes to managing your music, videos and the like. You want a cool music player or video player it’s hands down to the big guys who made iPod the common name for music player.
What about Apps? They’ve got plenty of it! More than 100,000 apps to choose from the Apple App Store. Are they expensive? Hell yeah they are but hey, there’s jailbreak! (this only works if the jailbreak is available for your firmware) Once you jailbreak you can unleash the power of the paid apps…all for free!
Games? Absolutely wonderful! I’ve played on some games in iPod touch and the smooth flow and graphics is just great!
It’s got multiple windows which you can customize to different widgets, gadgets and other stuff you’d think will make the phone “homey”. You can add live wallpapers, change the appearance, arrange your apps, and do a lot of stuff until your device satisfies your needs.
What about power? This guy has it. With the new Froyo or Android OS 2.2 the mobile phones and browsing just got faster. You wanna do mobile browsing? Ever heard of the ultimate Online experience on a mobile phone? This is just it! Don’t forget the fact that they even utilize the Flash 10.1. So think about full browsing? You’re looking at the best choice for that.
So which one is it really?
It’s hard to dictate what you SHOULD buy. It all depends on what you really need.
What is lacking in Apple
- the usual iPhone and iPod touch don’t have the multi tasking feature, but the iPhone 4 does.
- no Flash (need I say more?)
- lack of customizing power (unless jailbroken) – I don’t really like a display of just apps listed like that
- lack of tactile buttons (okay maybe I’m just a buttons person but I love shortcuts and two more buttons won’t hurt)
- external memory- I’m not satisfied with just internal memory
- independence from iTunes- I may sound stupid but what if I wanna do something with my Apple device on a computer with no iTunes?
What is lacking in Android
- games and other apps- they’re catching up but we need more cool games worth our cash
- better music interface- I don’t really like the music player, I mean it can play some songs but not really as cool and organized as Apple’s, then again I think there are other music apps. I’ll try finding one once I can get my own Android Phone
So there you have it. Personally I’d choose the Android because the price difference between an Android Phone and an iPhone is big. (unless you talk about the network plan found in the US)
If you guys have anymore suggestions and things to add about Android and Apple or stuff you just wanna express, leave a comment here.